Wednesday, November 12, 2008

"A Lot of Fat Kids Who Don't Like to Read"

When reading the article assigned for class, at first I thought it would just be about kids being bribed with food, such as Pizza Hut, in order to get them to read. However, when I was finished reading the article I thought it was extremely interesting and in a way disturbing at how many kids are being bribed and in a way tricked into reading and doing other things while in school. However, the point that I read that was extremely disturbing was the fact that a program based in Minneapolis was handing out ID cards according to a student's GPA, and their GPA dictated that amount of the discount that received from local merchants. All in all, the article was very eye opening and I do think students should be encouraged to read and do school based activities, however they should not have incentives which are the only things that are keeping them doing those activities.

No comments: