Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A little random info about a children's author

So, I know that this is a bit off topic, but I think it is relevant to this course. For my honors option for this course I researched Shel Silverstein and then read some of his books and evaluated them. The books I have known and loved since I was a child, so there was no surprise there, but his biography had a few surprises in store for me. Shel Silverstein was affiliated with Playboy for most of his life; the biography "A Boy Named Shel" it is insinuated he loved all of the pleasures that the Playboy Mansions had to offer. He would spend weeks at a time there chilling with his pal Hef. I believe he even spent some of his time recuperating from a car accident there. I found this interesting because, while what I found didn't change how I saw the books, my roommate said that it changes the way she views Silverstein's work. She feels that his books are now tainted a little because that was not the image she had at all of this man who occasionally goes by Uncle Shelby. It made me wonder how much it matters how authors live their lives, as long as their books have good morals and messages. What does it matter if they have a passion for playboy bunnies? Just some food for thought.... it has made me think a little.

No comments: